This section describes part of the FreeRTOS implementation.
The pages will be helpful if you:
- wish to modify the FreeRTOS source code.
- port the real time kernel to another microcontroller or prototyping board.
- are new to using an RTOS and wish to get more information on their operation and implementation.
There are two chapters accessible from the menu frame on the left:
- – Fundamentals and RTOS concepts
This contains background information on multitasking and basic real time concepts and is intended for beginners.
- – RTOS Implementation
This explains the real time kernel context switching source code from the bottom up.
The FreeRTOS real time kernel has been ported to a number of different microcontroller architectures. The Atmel AVR port was chosen for this example due to:
- the simplicity of the AVR architecture.
- the free availability of the utilized WinAVR (GCC) development tools.
- the low cost of the STK500 prototyping board
The section concludes with a detailed step by step look at one complete context switch.